Beware Paint Fumes!

Hi there! Thanks for checking out my little space here.
There are probably hundreds of nail blogs out there, many of which are fabulous! So why do my own? Well, number 1: it helps me keep track of what I've done. Number 2: I use mostly inexpensive drug store brands of polish, so anything I have you can easily have too. And number 3: I am not a professional, I make a lot of mistakes! If my struggling and fighting with some designs can make someone else not feel so bad about not getting it flawlessly executed, but still feel like they have a fantastic manicure, then I am a happy girl!

Monday, July 1, 2013

Tequila Summer Sunset Nails

I decided that I wanted something summery, but different than the polka dots I often do. A fabulous summery drink is a Tequila Sunrise, and I love the colors, but wanted to incorporate purple, so decided why can't I have a Tequila Sunset?

I decided to use this as a great time to test base colors also. Many of us who are "into" the whole nail art thing emphasize base color importance, and I wanted to see if it always makes much of a difference. 
So, on my left hand, each nail is painted a different base color. (1 coat each, except the pinkie which is 2 coats)
Thumb = China Glaze Avalance - a nice gunmetal charcoal color
Pointer = some old, random, obscure brand in Silver - a nice metallic opaque silver
Middle = Sinful Colors Snow Me White - a very opaque white
Ring =  Salley Hansen Insta-Dri In A Flash - a shimmery, white-ish nude
Pinkie = Wet'n'Wild megalast Sugar Coat - a slightly pinkish nude, no shimmer or sparkle

Once my nails are dry, it is time to move onto the coloring!
Take a regular makeup sponge, and dip it into water to get the sponge damp. Dry off the outside of the sponge. This is to help the paint not dry up so quickly on the sponge.
Paint a stripe of each color you want on your nail, onto the sponge.
Dab or roll the sponge onto the nail to apply paint. You can tape off around your nails, or apply Vaseline around your nails to make less of a mess, or to be lazy like me just paint on your fingers and clean it up later.
This is one dab/roll across each nail. I reapply a small amount of paint to the sponge between each nail.
If you like the base paint peeking through, or like the lighter more pastel color scheme, you can stop here, apply some top coat and be done.
I would like my colors more vibrant, so I will do another dab/roll cycle for each nail. This tends to make the colors blend just a little more, and they are much more bright. Wait at least a few minutes between each coat, otherwise the sponge will pick up as much paint as it is laying down.
Once my nails are colored to my liking, I use a Q-Tip dipped in acetone to removed the color from around my nails.
To protect the color, I added a quick dry clear coat.
I thought the nails still needed a little more, so I added some iridescent glitter polish.
I really can't see any difference in the outcomes of each nail. So in this instance, the base color didn't really matter.
On my right hand I didn't use a base color at all, and the results are the same. So if you're going to make your colors dark, and opaque, the base color is optional. The results do look a bit different, and that is because the nails of my right hand are shorter than those on my left, and there wasn't as much room to get as much purple on there.
These are the colors I used for this manicure
Mabelline = Plum Paradise
Sinful Colors = Cream Pink
Salley Hensen Insta-Dri = Lightening
Pure Ice = Don't You Wish

No comments:

Post a Comment