Beware Paint Fumes!

Hi there! Thanks for checking out my little space here.
There are probably hundreds of nail blogs out there, many of which are fabulous! So why do my own? Well, number 1: it helps me keep track of what I've done. Number 2: I use mostly inexpensive drug store brands of polish, so anything I have you can easily have too. And number 3: I am not a professional, I make a lot of mistakes! If my struggling and fighting with some designs can make someone else not feel so bad about not getting it flawlessly executed, but still feel like they have a fantastic manicure, then I am a happy girl!

Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Tips for perfect Tips

One of my favorite looks is colored Tips, like the French Tip, but with colors. Red with black tips, black with purple tips, light pink tips with darker pink tips, and probably my ultimate favorite, natural nails with colored tips... the combination possibilities are only limited by your color selection and likes. So, in this post, I am going to give a few tips on how to get perfect tips. 

One way to make sure your lines are straight and even is to grab yourself a rubber-band, and tie a loop in one end. You want your loop to be tight enough to stay on your fingers without falling off, but not so tight you can't take it off without messing up your paint. 

Slip the loop over the fingertip of the nail you are wanting to paint. Using your other fingers, lightly pull down on the rubber-band to get it tight against your nail, so no paint sneaks under.


Once you've filled in the color relax your pull on the rubber-band, and gently slip over and off the nail. If you are concerned with messing up your paint, you can use one rubber-band per finger.
And that's all there is to it!


In the picture above, I actually used black sharpie marker to color in my tips. As long as you already have a good coat of paint on your nails, you can use sharpie without damaging your nails.
This is helpful if you're wanting a nice paint job, but don't have time to wait for the first color to dry. Just paint your nails the base color, then while on break at work, or on the bus, or where ever you can grab a few minutes, just whip out your sharpie and complete your manicure. Cover it with a quick dry top coat (NYC's In a New York Minute quick dry polish is cheap, and dries very quickly) and you're all set! You'll look like you put in more effort than you did. (Black sharpie marker is also a godsend for hiding scuff marks on your nice black boots and heels, if you're on your way to an interview and don't have time to polish. Or the shoes are too cheap to bother with, but you need them to look nice. Yup, I am that redneck.)

Sometimes, you want a colored tip, but you want it a little more subtle than your basic brights. One trick I use is to paint the tips a bright, fun color...


Then paint over the whole nail, tip included, with a frosty or shimmery neutral color. It mutes the bright color, yet leaves you with something that looks like it took more effort. The plus side to this method is that typically you only put on one coat of the tip color, which usually dries quickly, and you use one coat of the top color, which usually dries quickly as well. Again, looking like you put in more time and effort than you really did.


After the samples I did above, I decided I'm in love with this new blue I got. It is Zoya's Song, which is a little more pricey than my average $2 bottles, but it is from their Christmas collection and is simply a beautiful brightly rich blue. Blue tips, with some snowflakes & a clear coat are all I need to channel a good festive seasonal mood.

Now go do some festive holiday tips of your own!!

No comments:

Post a Comment