Beware Paint Fumes!

Hi there! Thanks for checking out my little space here.
There are probably hundreds of nail blogs out there, many of which are fabulous! So why do my own? Well, number 1: it helps me keep track of what I've done. Number 2: I use mostly inexpensive drug store brands of polish, so anything I have you can easily have too. And number 3: I am not a professional, I make a lot of mistakes! If my struggling and fighting with some designs can make someone else not feel so bad about not getting it flawlessly executed, but still feel like they have a fantastic manicure, then I am a happy girl!

Monday, December 17, 2012

Holiday Nails #1

Holiday parties call for something other than a simple every day sort of nail. This is a time of year where glitzy and festive is in order! So, for my first set of Holiday appropriate nails, I will show you Ornament nails! 



These guys are simple to do, with a few simple tools. I am using a bamboo skewer that I have snipped the tip off of and filed smooth, and a caligraphy brush that I haven't broken down the bristles, they are still stiff except for the last 2 mm, that you can see in the pic slightly bending.
Choose 4, 5, 6, as many colors as you want! I poured small blobs of each of my colors onto my "pallet", which is just another old used CD case.



I started by painting my nails a really cool black with sliver iridescent flecks in it. Then using the bamboo skewer, I began to randomly place different colored dots on my nails, in no particular color pattern, layout, or size. I stuck with mostly round, though none were perfectly round. 
Continue to fill in spaces on your nails, alternating colors on the nails, or making them all the same if you prefer.

Once you've gotten all the little dots you want in place, add little gold or silver "hooks" on each. I used the stiff bristled brush for this, but a toothpick would also work.
I drew a little straight bar at the top (or side) of the ornament, and then a little C shape on top to make a D shaped hook. It is ok if they are crooked, or filled in too much, or too small, or too big. How many ornament hooks have you seen that are perfect?
Once you have all the hooks on your ornaments, cover with a good clear topcoat, and you're done! You now have cute little piles of ornaments to spread cheer wherever you go. 
Showing my right hand, so you can see that even using your non-dominant hand you can accomplish this look easily. (For me, it helps if I hold the brush still with my left hand, and move my right hand below the brush, instead of moving the brush around.)
Merry Christmas to all!



No comments:

Post a Comment