Beware Paint Fumes!

Hi there! Thanks for checking out my little space here.
There are probably hundreds of nail blogs out there, many of which are fabulous! So why do my own? Well, number 1: it helps me keep track of what I've done. Number 2: I use mostly inexpensive drug store brands of polish, so anything I have you can easily have too. And number 3: I am not a professional, I make a lot of mistakes! If my struggling and fighting with some designs can make someone else not feel so bad about not getting it flawlessly executed, but still feel like they have a fantastic manicure, then I am a happy girl!

Sunday, December 30, 2012

Formal Nails: Neato Tuxedo

Tomorrow is New Year's eve, and many people like to go out and dress up, and make it a special occasion. I am not exception to this... however, I will be hanging out at one of my best friend's house, eating more than we should, drinking a little wine, just generally being silly and spending time with one of my favorite men in the world (who at 4 is more of a lady's man than a lot of grown men I know). Even still, though my clothes will be comfy, I decided I needed some festive party nails. And what says fancy better than a tuxedo?
Now... those that know me, my idea of fancy has less to do with black tie and more to do with Glittery sparkly things than most others, and my tuxedo nails won't be any different.
 To start with, other than nail polish, you will need blue painters masking tape (it is less sticky than regular tape, and will be less likely to peel up your nail polish), scissors, and a dotting tool. I found an inexpensive double ended one at Rite-Aid (came in a pack with 3 mini nail polishes for $5). Small paint brushes would work as well, but a dotting tool is simple and is less to clean up.

As you can see, I made each of my tux shirts a different color. You can use all of the same color, or just a few colors, whatever suits your needs. 
First, paint your nails the "shirt" color. On one hand I went with the red side of the scale, on the other hand the blue end. 
 Using the scissors, cut off triangles of tape, making the point as narrow or wide as feels appropriate for you and your nails. I went with some more narrow than others, just because my nails like to be stylish and unique.
 Place the triangle on the top portion of your nail, blocking out the part that will remain the shirt color. There is no right or wrong to this... some of mine are very shallow, and some of mine are a deep V. And some are off center a bit. That's ok... I personally like the variety.
 Tape off all of your nails at once, otherwise you'll be having to repair smudges and nicks many times.
Once taped off, paint the Tux color over the whole nail. I went with a sparkly black. Gives it a very Elvis/Liberace feel.
 I only let the black dry a few moments before removing the tape. You don't want to let it dry too much or you can have a rough time with the paint sticking to the tape, and peeling off.

Once you've got your jacket in place, next comes the bow tie.
Using the dotting tool, place a dot of color where you want half the tie, then work the paint into a triangle-ish shape. On my left hand, I used the larger side of the dotting tool, because I can get more color on more quickly, and I'm right handed. When painting my right hand, I used the smaller side. It took a little longer, and had to dip in the paint a few more times, but I was less likely to mess up and smear too much paint around.
When the first half of the tie is in place, repeating the process, create the other side of the tie.
After I created the ties, I then used the same color paint to create two shirt buttons below the tie.
The final touch was using silver to create buttons on the Tux jacket.
 Cover everything with a good top coat, to "lock it in place".
 These are a fun way to wear a lot of color, without being over the top bright, or looking like you're a 6 year old raiding your mom's polish stash. (not that there's anything wrong with that)
For an even more subtle look, you could do this on just one nail on each hand, as an accent. Or switch it around and make the shirt black and the jacket white... take the ideas and run with it!

I hope everyone has a great New Year's eve, filled with friends and loved ones, good food, better laughs, and more joy than your heart can stand!


No comments:

Post a Comment