Beware Paint Fumes!

Hi there! Thanks for checking out my little space here.
There are probably hundreds of nail blogs out there, many of which are fabulous! So why do my own? Well, number 1: it helps me keep track of what I've done. Number 2: I use mostly inexpensive drug store brands of polish, so anything I have you can easily have too. And number 3: I am not a professional, I make a lot of mistakes! If my struggling and fighting with some designs can make someone else not feel so bad about not getting it flawlessly executed, but still feel like they have a fantastic manicure, then I am a happy girl!

Monday, December 17, 2012

Holiday Nails #2

So... this tutorial will be skimpy on pictures, because my phone and I were not seeing eye to eye... I told it to email all the pics to myself, and it only emailed one. And by the time I noticed, I'd already deleted the step by step pics. Siiiggghhh... of course.
Hopefully, I'll be able to describe well enough what I did, that it won't matter, and you'll be able to tell what I mean from the finished pics.
First, I painted my nails silver, then added a coat of holographic silver glitter. Nice and shimmery! 

For the Holly, I did the leaves in 5 steps using a stiff calligraphy brush. 
1. I drew a v shape for the inner point of the holly, pointing towards the corner of my nail. 
2. Draw little C shapes from each point of the V, making sure the curves are in towards each other
3. End the shape with another V, this time upside down. 
4. Color in your leaf shape
5. Add a few dots of red paint for the berries

 Next, and the more "fancy" of the two designs is the pine cone & bough. It really isn't a hard design to do, and having a bit of a shaky hand actually comes in handy with this one.
So here are the steps I took to create my little forest
1. I started with the outer corner of the pine cone, with a small dot of brown
2. Draw a small squiggle with the brown over the dot, slightly larger than the dot.
3. Add another squiggle, leaving breaks and uneven spots to simulate the layers of the pine cone, continuing to increase the size of each layer, until the mid point. Then decrease the size of each next layer of squiggle until you end up with a small point again.
4. If you look really closely at the pic, you can see little white squiggles in between the brown squiggles... go in with white, and fill in a few blank spots, to make it look like snow has gathered on the pine cone. It isn't a very "obvious" look, but it just gives it a little more dimension and makes it fun.
5. Here's where a shaky hand really would pay off: draw in a ragged, twisted branch next to the cone.
6. Using some green, draw in whispy little pine needles. I used two colors of green, for a little dimension and interest. I used the light green first, and drew in bundles of 3 pine needles in several places (4, if you're counting). I made them different lengths, thicknesses, etc. Then I did the same with the darker green, typically only putting two little streaks of green. I didn't want to totally cover the lighter color, just provide some interest.

Now just cover it all with a good top coat, and you have some pretty nature-y seasonal nails.

No comments:

Post a Comment