Beware Paint Fumes!

Hi there! Thanks for checking out my little space here.
There are probably hundreds of nail blogs out there, many of which are fabulous! So why do my own? Well, number 1: it helps me keep track of what I've done. Number 2: I use mostly inexpensive drug store brands of polish, so anything I have you can easily have too. And number 3: I am not a professional, I make a lot of mistakes! If my struggling and fighting with some designs can make someone else not feel so bad about not getting it flawlessly executed, but still feel like they have a fantastic manicure, then I am a happy girl!

Saturday, November 2, 2013

All that Jazz

I dressed in a 20's style costume tonight, for a Halloween themed show at ComedySportz. I like dressing up, and like being realistic and authentic in my approach. Now, that doesn't mean I stick to EXACTLY was what worn in the 1920's, however, what I do wear and do is based in reality.
In the 20's, nail polish/enamel was just hitting shelves, and women could now lacquer their nails. It was all the rage to paint your nails leaving the moon & tips free of polish. And Red was THE color to use.
I wanted to pay tribute to this trend, but not do exactly this, I wanted it to coordinate more with my getup. 
My outfit is black and gold, and I was wearing a headdress with Peacock feathers. 
At the same time that nail polish was becoming en vogue, makeup was also becoming more mainstream. In previous generations, only "THOSE" type of women wore makeup, but the 20's saw women boldly wearing very thick & heavy eye makeup, typically in black or grey, but also surprisingly turquoise was a popular choice. SO... because I was using Peacock feathers, and turquoise was a popular choice in the 20's, I chose to paint my moons turquoise. 
I am a big fan of Art Deco, so painted the remaining portion of my nails in black with a geometric design in gold.  
It isn't true to what was worn int he 1920's, but it takes elements of what was popular at that time and does a modern twist with it. 
Here's my makeup that went with it... heavy black and grey around the eyes, except for the inner corners, I did a thick turquoise liner. 
And of course, a red lip. 

No comments:

Post a Comment