Beware Paint Fumes!

Hi there! Thanks for checking out my little space here.
There are probably hundreds of nail blogs out there, many of which are fabulous! So why do my own? Well, number 1: it helps me keep track of what I've done. Number 2: I use mostly inexpensive drug store brands of polish, so anything I have you can easily have too. And number 3: I am not a professional, I make a lot of mistakes! If my struggling and fighting with some designs can make someone else not feel so bad about not getting it flawlessly executed, but still feel like they have a fantastic manicure, then I am a happy girl!

Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Zombie Cupid Nails - Or just a fabulous messy manicure

One of the first things people always say when I do a new manicure is "but I could never do that", "I'm too messy to do that" or "I can never do something that perfect". So I wanted to do a manicure today that would be even better the messier you are with it! 
Ta da! My messy faded gradient tips
I started with a pale, almost nude base. I used Wet & Wild here, two coats. It doesn't have to be a perfect since you are going to be layering colors over it.  
Next I took a medium pink, and did a quick swipe across the tip. It doesn't need to be straight, or cover perfectly, this is just to save time on the next step.
Using the same pink, I wiped most of the polish off the brush and painted on the polish from the tip towards the cuticle. I left the edge ragged, and uneven. After this step, I threw on a coat of quick dry top coat (Seche Vite). It isn't necessary to do, but I wanted the bottom two layers to be smooth and look blended before adding my 3rd color. 
Lastly, I took a pinky/red glitter and brushed it on from the tip towards the cuticle, again leaving the edge uneven and jagged. I made sure I did not cover all of the pink.
 I finished with two coats of top coat, just because I wanted the layers to be smooth and blend together well.
 A Q-tip dipped in acetone helped clean up the edges (another reason top coat is important... cleaning the edges will not mess up your paint if there is top coat to protect it!).
This manicure would be super fun for Halloween... do the first layer as a milky yellow-ish, the middle layer a bright red, and the top layer a reddish brownish ... and voila! you'd have awesome I've-been-clawing-at-my-victim's-flesh-type Zombie nails.  As it is, these make me think of a Zombie Cupid. Which, is all sorts of warm & fuzziness!

Doing this in grey, red & black would possibly be a cool Vampire manicure.
Options are only limited by your imagination and paint collection.
Have fun!

1 comment:

  1. Someone also pointed out it kind of looks like pink flames. Which, would then mean it would look rather cool using yellow, orange and red, to do a more flame-like manicure.

    ReplyDelete