Beware Paint Fumes!

Hi there! Thanks for checking out my little space here.
There are probably hundreds of nail blogs out there, many of which are fabulous! So why do my own? Well, number 1: it helps me keep track of what I've done. Number 2: I use mostly inexpensive drug store brands of polish, so anything I have you can easily have too. And number 3: I am not a professional, I make a lot of mistakes! If my struggling and fighting with some designs can make someone else not feel so bad about not getting it flawlessly executed, but still feel like they have a fantastic manicure, then I am a happy girl!

Monday, January 7, 2013

Non-childish Polka Dots

I have a nice easy one today that anyone, no matter what your talent level is, can easily achieve. 
I'm back to one of my favorite things: Polka dots!!! 
Polka dots are a lot of fun, but sometimes can seem overly girly or childish. A way to avoid looking Hello Kitty-ish is picking a more mature color pallet & a different pattern than the typical dots. Picking varying color pallets will provide results that are feminine, without being syrupy sweet. 
I started with my favorite deep mocha color as my base, and am picking an assortment of teal/turquoise shades for the dots. I ended up not being able to use the shimmery teal in the small bottle on the left, as it was glued shut. I went with a pearly light blue instead, and it worked just fine. 


I used my two sided dotting tool, and differing amounts of pressure to create the different sized dots. 
I chose the darkest color to be the biggest dots, and places a few randomly across my nail. 
I then used my lightest color to add more big dots, again in a random pattern across my nail. 
With each successive color, the dots got smaller, so the last color (white) had the smallest dots, and was used primarily to fill in the excess space. 
I added random dots of the teal glitter polish, that don't really show up, but do give a little extra sparkle here and there. I also covered the whole of each ring finger nail in the glitter. It isn't highly noticeable, but does give it a nice touch I think.  

 As you can see, I went with a diagonal, random placement pattern, and I love the results!
This would be cute with even, symmetrically placed dots as well.
I plan on trying this again in the near future, with pink dots on the brown, and again possibly with purple dots on grey polish.
Other combinations that I think would be awesomely fun are:
Yellows on Purple
Yellows & Purples on White
Blue & White on Red
Black & White on Hot Pink
Hot Pink & Black on White

Just pick your favorite two or three colors and go for it! Or, pick your favorite piece of abstract art and duplicate the color pallet.

No comments:

Post a Comment